We provide chat services via XMPP protocol.
XMPP, also known as Jabber, is a protocol for instant messaging (IM). Unlike the majority of protocols XMPP servers can talk to each other just like the Email does.
Macaw XMPP server supports everything you need for chatting like: end-to-end encryption, group chats, attached files, voice messages, message history, multiple devices, contact statuses and much more!
The protocol is so rich there are even some social media built on pure XMPP!
User address in XMPP looks exactly like an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and it's very easy to remember especially if you have a mail box with the same name. As simple as that!
To chat in XMPP network you need a program called client.
It is basically a chatting application, like telegram or whatsapp,
the only difference is that in XMPP network any client can connect to any of the variety of servers.
Macaw communication hub provides a web client (Movim) to access you account or register a new one.
Macaw XMPP server supports In-Band registration. It means you can register an account right from your favorite app or web site.
In order to do so make sure you chose macaw.me as account provider in registration form.
You can register your new XMPP on macaw.me server here
If you face any difficulties you can always contact the administrator for manual registration.
There are many more XMPP clients, completely compatible with Macaw communication hub, give them a try!
Mac OS Clients
- Hosting company: Linode LLC
- Server location: Fremont (California, USA)
- Message storage time: Not less than 31 day
- Maximum upload size per file: 100 MB
- Maximum upload total size: Unlimited (please read the note below)
- Uploaded files storage time: Not less than 31 day
- Support conference: email@example.com (Languages: English, Russian)
- Launch date: 14 of March, 2019
- Price: Free
Note about storage
In general I do not intend to remove any of my users uploaded files or messages.
Till now since the launch date I haven't removed one.
I don't really want to set limitations because all of my users showed me the decency and none was found abusing my hospitality.
Basically, you shall not rely on storing your files here as in a storage cloud for I might clean up some of the old uploads if I run out of space. But it's definitely not going to be a problem for you if you just use the messenger the way messenger designed to be used.
Please, make sure you backup your files somewhere else in you wish to use them again, say, next year. I can not guaranty eternal storage of limitless amount of files.
Also, if I detect you are abusing file storage, I might restrict your upload capacity personally.
Statement about password reset
There is no automatic password reset tech implemented yet on macaw.me!
I can provide manual password reset, here how it works:
- You create an account
- You edit your VCard and set email address(es) there
- If you wish to reset your password you contact me by one of those emails provided in your VCard
- I check your VCard, reset your password and reply that email with your new password (using PGP if you have provided a public key)